1986 in Charleston, South Carolina
Andre the Giant Has a Posse. A street art project and an experiment in
phenomenology by artist Shepard Fairey.
- OBEY Giant images appear in three of Joel
In Batman Forever, a distorted image of Giant's face is visible on a
Gotham skyscraper as Batman flies the Batplane nearby.
In 8mm (1999), an "OBEY Giant" poster
is clearly visible on the outside of an alleyway door the protagonist
In Phone Booth (2002), several stenciled images of the "OBEY
Giant" image are visible on the corner of the building behind
the phone booth in which Colin Farrell becomes trapped.
- An "OBEY GIANT" poster appears
on a wall in the Berlin, Germany stage of the video game Tony Hawk's
- In an episode of the television program Family Guy, Peter Griffin
paints an outsized image of the stylized "Obey
Giant" face emblem on the Sistine Chapel ceiling in an ostensible
renovation effort. (Show creator and television producer Seth MacFarlane
was a student at RISD at the same time as Frank Shepard Fairey.)
- In the PC video game Half-Life, players can choose André the
Obey Giant as a spraytag to mark walls or floors
during multiplayer matches.
- In the PC video game Half-Life 2, posters very similar to the Obey
Giant ones appear, instead using the visage of Wallace Breen, and
the text RESIST.
- In the 2003 movie Along Came Polly five Obey
Giant posters can be seen in the background in a final scene when
Ben Stiller is chasing after Jennifer Aniston.
- The Black Eyed Peas video Shut Up has several stylized "Obey
Giant" face posters near the stage man. (A reference to Shepard
Fairey who designed the art for the album "Elephunk") .
- In the Nintendo DS game "Retro Atari Classics", which features
remixes of classic Atari games by famous graffiti artists along with
the originals, the OBEY Giant design was used
for Gravitar, Lunar Lander, Missile Command, and Sprint.